|Year : 2011 | Volume
| Issue : 4 | Page : 302
Let us march ahead with optimism
President, Indian Society of Periodontology, Department of Periodontology, M. R. Ambedkar Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Date of Web Publication||2-Feb-2012|
President, Indian Society of Periodontology, Department of Periodontology, M. R. Ambedkar Dental College and Hospital, Bangalore, Karnataka
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Faizuddin M. Let us march ahead with optimism. J Indian Soc Periodontol 2011;15:302
I am immensely indebted to you all for unanimously electing and installing me as the president of the Indian Society of Periodontology-A premier national body of Periodontics, with the aim of advancing the art and science of Periodontology.
The founding fathers have set the stage and have shown the way for the smooth and fruitful functioning of the society. My predecessor Dr. Lalit Mathur and Hon. Secretary Dr. Balaji Manohar, with their relentless efforts, have paved the path and made my task easier. With the support of young, enthusiastic, and energetic office bearers and EC members, the wise guidance of senior members, and your co-operation, I foresee a fruitful year ahead. With position come responsibilities, and with responsibility come challenges. The successful are those who turn challenges into opportunities for growth and advancement.
The periodontium is the very foundation of dentition and Periodontics is the hub of dental practice; yet, of late, Periodontology is losing its charisma and its popularity is dwindling when compared to other branches of Dentistry. Implantology, which was thought to be an inseparable part of Periodontics, is slowly slipping out of our fold into the domain of the general practitioner.
Friends, it is our duty to strive and regain a respectable and deserving position for Periodontics.
Successful people have always set goals and have strived to achieve them. So, let us set pragmatic and practical goals as given below and work together to accomplish them.
- Educating the general public about the importance of periodontal health and its impact on general health and well-being.
- Interaction with general practitioners to promote Periodontics.
- Interaction with medical professionals to share knowledge and make collaborative efforts to improve the health of the society.
- Revamping BDS curriculum to ignite interest among undergraduates in Periodontology and MDS curriculum to include the recent advances and to train the teachers to meet the new academic challenges.
- Involving industry, corporate sector, voluntary organizations, and scientific and professional bodies in other countries for furthering the objectives of society.
- Prevailing upon policy makers to include oral and periodontal health as a part of public health promotion.
If we resolve and work together, I think, nothing can prevent us from achieving these goals.
Journal is an important organ of the society. Editor Dr. Ashish Nichani and his editorial team are doing an excellent job. Now that the financial constraints are taken care of, the quality of the journal should improve and frequency should be increased. The editorial team is working in this direction.
I thank you all, seek your support, and wish you all a peaceful, prosperous, healthy, and happy New Year 2012.
| Authors|| |